October 15, not your typical day… In fact October 15th has been designated Blog Action Day, a day where bloggers unite for a common nonprofit cause, this year the focus being on poverty. E-Power is collecting food for the pantry run by Emmanuel United Church of Christ in Oshkosh. The church serve approximately 400 families each month. Can you donate food? E-Power will pick it up and deliver it to the food pantry.
In a time of economic crisis, natural disasters and conflicts, people, communities and nations unite to help in any way possible. With economic problems piling up, we need to help people now. Along with poverty comes hunger. We need to help people in need not just around holidays, but year round.
Looking at Poverty in Winnebago County, where E-Power Marketing is headquartered, we see an ever increasing trend of people falling at or below the poverty line. In just 5 years (from 2001 to 2005), the number of people falling below the poverty line in Winnebago County has increased over 50%.
Food pantries are especially in need this season. The floods this past June ruined much of the food inventories as they were often kept in the basement. The economy is sending more into poverty. Please help.
What can you do to help stave off poverty in Winnebago County?
- Get Involved with your local food pantry. Oshkosh Area Food Pantry Hours and Locations
- Many grocery stores have ways to donate; Festival Foods, Copps and Pick N' Save
- Donate clothing, coats, and blankets so that those who can't afford them on their own can stay warm this winter.
- Donate baby supplies (diapers/bottles/formula), school supplies, etc
- Use your own resources, like your blogs or company newsletters to raise awareness about area poverty and hunger.
- Volunteer with local literacy programs (Winnebago County Literacy Council); share your knowledge with those in need.
- Find out about your local school's meal programs, do they offer breakfast programs for children who would otherwise go without?
- Are there elderly nutrition programs in the area that need your help?
- Volunteer at area shelters; serve at area meal sites like the Salvation Army's
E -Power Marketing has participated in several charity events including Race for the Light, a nonprofit to raise funds and awareness for the Christine Anne Center for Domestic Abuse, as well as making charitable donations and helping to coordinate a golf outing for the Oshkosh Area Humane Center. E-Power has also made charitable donations to Jaycees to buy Shriners Circus tickets for disadvantaged kids, Shrine Circus Fund to help kids with serious burns receive medical attention and Mothers Against Drunk Drivers. This year, sparked by the Blog Action Day for raising awareness to poverty and by the astounding local statistics mentioned above, E-Power wishes to shed light on local poverty issues as well as coordinate a food drive with a local food pantry, Emmanuel United Church of Christ.
We encourage bloggers and everyone else to get involved with the fight to end poverty, whether it be on a micro or macro level. If you wish to help E-Power Marketing with their Food Drive to benefit Emmanuel United Church of Christ; 1306 Michigan St; Oshkosh, WI; 920-235-8340. Please contact - email@example.com for more information on how you can help.