1) Don't push your brand constantly to your followers'. Twitter allows your buyers to learn more about you and not just the brand. Allowing them to know more about you and your views gives them a more personal bond with you, thus offering a higher probability that they will do business with your brand.
2) Getting the highest number of followers should not be your goal. Getting the most QUALITY followers is. (QUALITY – Those followers actually interested in your product / brand. Not followers who are simply following tons of Twitter accounts to try and achieve that highest number of followers goal I just told you not to focus on.)
3) Respond to your direct replies. If someone tweets directly to you (@), try and reply back. Show them you are in fact reading your tweets and care. Again, the personal touch!
4) Ask questions and try to start conversations with your followers. Interactivity is always a plus for any social avenue. Plus, this is a great way to get feedback on your buyers views and interests direct from them.
5) Send a direct message thank you to new followers. Let's all say it again, “adding that personal touch”.
6) If you have a company Blog, tweet about your blog posts including a link to the blog. However, tweeting about the company blog, should not be your only tweets.
7) Tweet related news, blogs, forum discussions, etc. Basically, if you find something related to your industry, go ahead and tweet about it.
8) Shake it up. Post a variety of tweets to give your followers an abundance of information. Send tweets about new blog posts, industry news, once in awhile sales, appearances, and just a random note sometimes, like "Stuck in traffic, yet again". (Shows there's a human behind the account.)
9) By now you should be getting the hint. Twitter allows your buyers to feel connected to you and your brand. Hey, I'll admit to it personally. I'm following a couple sports stars and when they directly reply back, I feel like I'm really someone important. Now imagine if you can achieve that with your buyers. Chances are they're going to be more likely to purchase from you versus the competition.
10) What are you waiting for, go tweet!