Take a Spin on the Google Wonder Wheel for Search Engine Marketing
In 2009, Google launched a new feature called the "Google Wonder Wheel". Though not available to all users at first, the Google Wonder Wheel is now widely available to Google users. Located on the left side of the Google search screen, this wheel shows users search queries related to their original search phrase. It allows users to discover important key phrases that may have been overlooked originally. Through discovering additional phrases, users can search more accurately and brands can target new and important key phrases.
In the above search, I originally searched for Search Engine Optimization. I was given 7 new Wonder Wheel Suggestions, including Meta Tags. After clicking on the Meta Tags suggestion, I was given 8 new Wonder Wheel Suggestions, all relevant though different.
Using the Google Wonder Wheel for Online Success
Though Google users can use the Wonder Wheel to improve their searches, businesses can use the tool to improve their online presence. Here is a brief list of ways companies can use the Google Wonder Wheel to boost their online authority:
- Discover a New Niche- The Google Wonder Wheel is perfect for discovering the nooks and crannies of your industry. Follow the suggestions to find new topics you can educate on or problems you can resolve. You know your industry inside and out, but that doesn't mean you know what your potential customers are looking for. Use the Google Wonder Wheel to find new niches you can establish yourself in through education and problem solving.
- Identify Optimization Opportunities- When you discover new phrases related to your business, consider optimizing your Website for them. Think strategically about the Wonder Wheel Suggestions. Are they highly searched? More importantly, are they highly relevant?
- Find New Content Page Topics- The Google Wonder Wheel will allow you to discover core key phrases, as well as additional topics that will make great content pages for your site. Keep digging deeper into the Wonder Wheel for specific ideas you can create educational, non-marketing information for your Website.
- Expand Your Blog- Some of the Google Wonder Wheel Suggestions may be too specific for an entire Web page, but are perfect for brief, informative Blog Posts. An active Blog is one of the easiest ways to increase your search visibility, and coming up with topics to write about has never been easier.
- Streamline your PPC Campaign- For many businesses, principal key phrases are expensive to target and many other brands are competing for those phrases. With the Google Wonder Wheel, you can discover more cost effective phrases that are not as competitive. Make the most of your resources by creating separate campaigns and ads for each of the Google Wonder Wheel Suggestions. Don't forget to use Google’s Keyword Tool to round out your groups. Make the most of your PPC budget and resources with the Google Wonder Wheel.
- Optimize Site Interlinking- The Google Wonder Wheel is essentially telling us what Google sees as related and what should be linked. In the above search, we can deduce that Google feels that Meta Data is an important issue related to Search Engine Optimization. We can utilize this information on a Website by creating optimized text links to and from our Web pages on SEO and Meta Tags. Use the information Google gives you to increase your search visibility.
Grow your Website and your PPC campaign judiciously with the help of the Google Wonder Wheel. It's an easy to use tool with a seemingly limitless amount of information. Take a spin on the Google Wonder Wheel today and let it benefit your company's online success.