Yes you do! However, the days of keeping your SEO separate from other marketing strategies are long gone. Your SEO strategy should be integrated within your businesses marketing strategy. Marketing strategies can no longer afford to keep online strategies separate from offline. They must be completely integrated. So yes, you need an SEO strategy, a Social Media strategy, a Press Release strategy, a Paid Advertising strategy, an Email program, a TV / Commercial strategy, etc., that all work together. Without that integration, your SEO strategy won't be near as successful. Neither will your other marketing strategies.
Since we don't want to write a novel on developing an integrated marketing plan, let's focus on the SEO portion. Search Engine Optimization encompasses so much more complexity than when I started here at E-Power 10 year ago. It amazes me how many more items you have to consider. But at the same time, some of the most important factors still remain today.
1) Keywords are still the most crucial element in Search Engine Optimization and overall online advertising. How are your customers searching for you? It's not always the way you think. The relevancy of the keywords you are targeting will determine the amount of qualified traffic driven to your Website. Your keyword list should include broad level terms that are highly relevant. But do not underestimate the power of long-tail search phrases either.
2) That keyword list you just developed will not do your business any good if your Website doesn't include content to support them. Content creation needs to be a top priority within your SEO strategy. Content creation takes resources and should not be ignored. The search engines continue to fine-tune their algorithms to focus on the user. Users seek quality content that helps them in some manner. Be sure your Website is taking care of your visitors content needs by using the key phrases and topics they are searching for. Without content, your Search Engine Optimization results will, quite honestly, be next to nothing.
3) Social signals! Yes, it is true and it isn't going away. Your social media activity plays an integral part in whether you increase organic search visibility or not. Are you active on Facebook? Google+? Twitter? YouTube? LinkedIn? Pinterest? Others? If not, you should be. Chances are your competitors are already. And if they aren't – this is your chance to steal some of the market.
- Align the key phrases you are targeting for SEO into your Social Media strategy.
- Promote the informative content on your Website through your Social Media channels.
- Be active. Creating a Facebook account and seldom posting won't help you at all.
- Use Social Media channels to find out what content your audience is looking for.
4) Links, links and more links. Even with Social Media your Website's back link profile is still important. Not only should you have a link building strategy for continual growth, but also a link pruning strategy to remove non-quality spam links. Eliminating spammy links pointing to your Website is just as important as achieving new quality links.
And there you have it! These 5 items are the minimum your SEO strategy should include. Search Engine Optimization encompasses so much more, however the above 5 are truly the building blocks to your organic success.