Ghosts, Goblins & Google AdWords – Terrifying PPC Mistakes
In the spirit of the Halloween season, E-Power Marketing has compiled a list of some of the most terrifying Pay Per Click advertising mistakes that we see other advertisers make within their accounts on a regular basis. Avoid a PPC nightmare by making sure your program doesn't fall victim to one of these frightening online advertising mistakes.
- Not setting goals - A well managed Pay Per Click campaign should be designed to achieve an end goal. Whether you're looking to boost sales, increase brand awareness, or generate leads, every business has unique goals. Those goals should be clearly outlined before ever setting up a Pay Per Click program. Each individual element of your online advertising program, including key phrases, ad copy, and landing pages, should be designed to help achieve the goals that have been set.
- Not doing your keyword research - Selecting the right key phrases to target is the most important component of running a successful Pay Per Click advertising campaign. Don't assume that you know the right key phrases to target. Often times the industry jargon and technical terminology that is used within your business is not used by your target market. Performing proper research will allow you to identify how your market searches for your products or services. Use tools like the Google Keyword Planner to compile a list of key phrases that are actually searched by your target market and tailored to your advertising goals.
- Letting your program run on autopilot - There is no secret recipe for a PPC program that delivers a positive ROI. A successful program requires a combination of ongoing refining, testing, and optimizing. Without consistent, hands-on management you risk wasting money, missing out on important updates and losing opportunities to reach new customers. If you have a "set it and forget it" mindset for your PPC program, the only thing you can "forget" is seeing a return on investment from your program.
- Running Search & Display in the same campaign -By default, when you create a new campaign in Google AdWords, you'll be opted into both the Search and Display Networks. These two Networks should always be separated into their own campaigns. Display campaigns function very differently from Search campaigns; therefore, they need to be setup, optimized and managed differently.
- Not linking Google AdWords & Google Analytics - Google AdWords tells you what happened before the click of your ad occurred. But what happens after the click? That's where Google Analytics comes into play. Linking your AdWords and Analytics accounts give you valuable information on visitor behavior after the click that brought them to your website, including bounce rate, average visit duration, pages per visit and much more. Analyzing this information allows you to make more informed decisions when it comes to refining and optimizing your Google AdWords program. Google Analytics is free and simple to set up, so there's no excuse not to use it.
- Not Measuring Success - How will you know if you're achieving your goals if you're not tracking them? Running a PPC program with no tracking in place is the equivalent of driving blindfolded (and that's terrifying!). Without proper tracking in place, you'll be making uninformed decisions about your program. A key phrase with a low clickthrough may have a great conversion rate, but if you don't have tracking set up you could end up pausing that phrase based solely on clickthrough rate, causing you to miss out on valuable conversions. With just a few simple steps you can start tracking your goals by setting up Conversion Tracking in Google AdWords or Goals Tracking in Google Analytics.
Trying to piece together all of the components required to run a successful Pay Per Click campaign can be overwhelming and downright frightening. The specialists at E-Power Marketing have the ongoing training and experience needed to create and manage programs that avoid these mistakes and provide a positive return on investment. If you're currently trying to dig yourself out of a hole after making one of these mistakes, contact E-Power Marketing today to learn how we can help take your program from terrifying to terrific!